Friday, May 30, 2008

AHHHHHHHHH!

So what's the trick to getting your kids to pick up their room? I am getting so frustrated with this same battle we have. It's 2:30pm and they have been at it since this morning. I'm really sick of it and this is the only place I can vent, so sorry. I am losing, or maybe I've lost all my patience. I am about to pack up all their toys and sell them this summer at a garage sale! How hard is it to put dirty clothes in a hamper, toys in huge baskets, and shoes in the closet? Could I really make it any easier? Come on kids! Anyway, comments or secret tips would be helpful. I'm going to go crack the whip one more time!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Well, this is working for us right now.

One night we had a big blow up over her room not getting clean, so we set a timer and EVERYTHING still on the floor went to the garage for 3 weeks. No backing down, no yelling, just fact. And then every night after that we would set the timer and repeat the process. Everything still on the floor went to join her other toys in the garage.

After the 3 weeks we sorted ALL of the toys into big rubbermaid containers into like categories...dress up, building blocks, kitchen, etc. I store them in the laundry room and she may choose 1, only 1, to play with at a time. If she wants to play with a different set of toys she has to clean up the one she has out and then trade containers. Each night she only has one container to pick up. The current threat is that if she does not pick up the toys in that container as she should and I have to pick the toys, she will not be allowed play with those toys for 1 week.

So far it is working beautifully. I'm happy because I don't have to yell or nag anymore. The timer states the facts and the consequences make sense. She's happy because it's not so overwhelming to pick up just 1 containers worth and doesn't have to worry about sorting the toys.

I does require some resolve to not give in when they start whining for a particular toy they've lost. And it requires BOTH parents to back eachother up. So hope it helps and GOOD LUCK!

Brimaca said...

You're nicer than my mom. My mom threw them away if I didn't pick them up. I still remember trying to pick my barbie car out of the trash when I was five and it was covered in nasty stuff. I was disgusted and had to let it go. It worked though...I always picked up after that. We also were only allowed to have out a few toys at a time. I like the idea of having a bin at a time. I'll try to remember that when the kiddies get to that stage.