Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Warning, high fat content!

So I tried out a new recipe...Three cheese Manicotti. It was fabulous, if I do say so myself :) So I thought I'd share what I did to the recipe I got off the box.

Manicotti
1 package manicotti, I think there were 14 in the box
2 15 oz containers ricotta cheese, I used whole milk HEB brand
1 package italian blend shredded cheese, it has the parmesan and mozzarella
grated parmesan, I didn't measure, I just shook til I thought it looked yummy!
minced onion, a couple shakes
garlic salt, I used Lawry's garlic salt which is coarse ground and has parsley
italian seasoning

Sauce
I use Prego with mushrooms, the big plastic bottle(I use a lot of sauce)
Add 1 can of crushed tomatoes
1 can Hunt's tomato puree
minced onion
Weber grill creations roasted garlic & herb

I let that simmer while I was getting everything else ready

DIRECTIONS
Cook manicotti according to package directions (I added some Olive Oil to the water so they won't stick together). Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Stuff manicotti shells with cheese mixture (I found using a butter knife worked the best, or cut the corner off a large ziploc) ; arrange over sauce. Top with remaining sauce.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and manicotti is heated through.

*I always add a lot of cheese. I put mine on before I put it in the oven and I didn't cook it as long, probably the 35 minutes would be fine. Also cook your noodles for less time than the package says, since you are putting it in the oven to bake, you don't want it soggy.

Then I finished it off with some garlic bread. Just a loaf of HEB french bread that I sliced and put butter with minced onion, minced garlic, garlic salt, and grated parmesan cheese. Then I put it in for 5-7 minutes at 350, or until the butter is all melted. MMMMMMMMM.....I want some more leftovers!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

this sounds delicious! manicotti is one of my favorite dishes. mmmmm

Elsha said...

Sounds yummy! We usually make ground beef manicotti but I am totally spoiled because Brian makes his own sauce to go on the top. And manicotti makes the best leftovers!

Rachel said...

Look at you, the big Chef. I'm excited for dinner, if I can keep anything down by then:)

Steph said...

Why are you so skinny if you eat that? Not fair!

Maria said...

Not sure I can allow myself such a scrumptious indulgence. Sounds yummy! Any chance you'll be posting the low-fat version :)