Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'd like to log a complaint...

This post is not for those with weak a stomach. This last week has been pretty messy....

On Thursday night, after we had just finished feeding the missionaries, Caleb came to me and said, "Mom, I think I had some poop in my underwear." So I look down at him and he's got it on his hands. So we go into the bathroom and sure enough, it was in his underwear. He didn't poop in his underwear, he just hadn't wiped good enough and must have had a cling on. But he didn't just leave it at that, nope, he smeared it all over his bottom by squishing it with his fingers. Lovely. So that was really nice to clean up.

Then Friday afternoon I notice that Hannah has a fever, which lasted until late Saturday night. She went to bed Saturday with a fever of 102. We missed church on Sunday so she wouldn't it spread it around. For Valentine's Day we gave them some candy and she was enjoying a piece before the boys left for church, and she gagged on it and threw up. Fabulous! So I got to clean that up too.

Oh, I forgot to mention that on Friday while holding Olivia, she blew out of her diaper and I got pooped on. So she needed a bath, and new clothes. Then I had to start the stain treating and wash the laundry. Lucky for me I had her wrapped in a blanket so it only got the top layer of clothes for me. It didn't soak into my underwear, she just got my shirt, undershirt, and some on my jeans. Great!

Then on Monday, while I have all the kids home, we have kids over to play and the house gets destroyed. I already have a hard enough time getting my kids to clean up. So it's been a battle, I've had to ground my boys from the Wii, because they just do not like to clean. Oh well, I guess it will get done eventually. But the bad part is that Kylan woke up in the middle of the night, I guess early Tuesday morning to tell me he didn't feel good. I was still half asleep so I didn't check his temperature, and I sent him back to bed. When I went to get him up for school I checked his temp and it was 101. So there's another day home from school. His fever came and went all day and he complained of having a headache, but I think he's over it now. I sent him to school today, so he better be :)

So it's been pretty crazy around here lately. Oh the adventures of Motherhood!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Your weekend sounds way too similar to mine! :) This motherhood business is MESSY work indeed! My mom keeps telling me I'll look back at these days and laugh, but I'm not convinced. I told her I'll let her know in 10-20 years. :)

I am so far from a good parent, it is not even funny, but I have found something that works for the cleaning part. It's still a bit of a struggle with Preston. I have to stand there and keep reminding him it's time to clean up and sing the stupid cleanup song for him. Crazy 2-3 year olds and their ADD. But for Dylan, I have found the solution that actually came from the Love and Logic book (which I am currently reading and will probably post about when I have sufficiently tested the system and can give my opinion). Anyway, for any chores (making bed, hanging up coat, cleaning up toys) I just tell Dylan one of two things. I either tell him he can keep the toys he puts away (and I proceed to take the rest and put them in a big black garbage sack and put them away - locked in the shed - for an extended period of time) or I ask him if he wants to put his toys away or pay me to do it (I tell him I charge $1 or 3 toys per chore). It works like MAGIC! He tested me at first, but now that's all I have to say and he runs. I just nicely and calmly give him the choices and he chooses to clean up every time. Just a suggestion. It's new at my house, but has worked like a charm so far.

And when I know how long other kids will be at my house, I stop playing 10 minutes before the play date is over and just tell them it's time to clean up. Same thing, the younger ones I have to monitor, but Dylan is usually thrilled to have some help cleaning up (since it's usually way messier than when he's playing alone) and will show the older kids where things go so they can help him out. Sometimes it's impossible because it's just chaos, but those are a few things I've learned. I might not end up being the FAVORITE friend mom, but I'm still fun without feeling the stress of not being able to do it very often because it takes too much out of me.

Sorry for the LONG comments today. Apparently I haven't had much adult contact lately and am just feeling chatty. :)

Brimaca said...

Man. I know how you feel. L and her poop incidents are killing me!!!!! And my kids gag on their own breath and throw up. It's so frustrating sometimes. Remember I live right here and am willing to help anytime. I'll even clean up gross stuff for you!

ManDee and Scott Laing said...

Sounds like you had a tough week. Hopefully things will get better! Let me know if you ever need anything even if it is just to talk.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! When it rains it pours huh. I hope the rest of the week turns up!