Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chili champs of the Ward!


Not an actual photo of the chili, just one I found online :)

So friday night was the Midland 1st Ward chili cook-off. I had a lot of fun trying out some new kinds of chili and some yummy desserts! It was really suprising though to win 1st place in the chili cook-off. I was totally shocked! I was actually thinking to myself...."Man, I'm not even going to get an honorable mention!" And then it helped that my neighbor, Kyle was playing M.C. and tipped me off when he said, "This isn't right, I guess this one was rubbed off on by their neighbor." It was pretty cool. It was a recipe that Nate found online and it won the world champion title for 2008. I did some tweaking to it and made it my own though. But if you are hurt by that, oh well! :) Then you need to talk to Bro. Gray and see what is in HIS chili, that he won 3rd place for. Anyway, several people asked me for the recipe, so here it is.

Southern Chili Georgia Style
World Champion 2008

Source: Georgia Weller
Submitted By:

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp California chili powder
3 Tbsp Gebhardts chili powder
1 Tbsp Pasilla chili powder
1 Tbsp Chimayo chili powder
2 ½ Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp onion powder
½ tsp Cayenne powder
2 tsp salt

Combine above ingredients for spice mix. Reserve 4 Tbsp of mix and set aside. Divide the remaining amount into 2 equal parts.

3# Tri-Tip roast or Chuck Tender cut in small chunks
1-15oz can of beef broth (Swansons)
1-15oz can of chicken broth (Swansons)
1-10oz can of tomato puree (Hunts)
2 Green Chiles – from a 4 oz can of whole ones - blended
Tabasco to taste
Salt to taste

Instructions:
In chili pot, combine beef broth, chicken broth, tomato puree and ½ of remaining spice mix.
In skillet, brown the meat, drain and add to chili pot.
Cook for about 1½ hours.
Add other ½ of spice mix and blended green chiles and simmer for an additional hour.
Add reserved 4 Tbsp of spice mix and cook a ½ hour more or until meat is tender.
Adjust salt if necessary.
Add Tabasco to taste.


Servings:
3/4 gallon

I made 1 1/2 batches of it since Nate and I both signed up to bring chili. I didn't use the tri-tip, I used ground sirloin instead. Then for the blended green chilies, I used a can of green salsa, and part of a can of chopped green chilies. We couldn't find the California chili powder, so we bought some dried chilies from HEB and crushed them up, they weren't spicy at all and I think they were red :). I also added 1/4 of an onion and a couple shakes of minced garlic. It also turns out pretty runny, so you could probably leave out the chicken broth or do half and half. I had to boil mine down on the stove and add a little corn starch to thicken it up. For the tabasco I used smoked jalapeno, and only a few drops will get it spicy enough. Oh, and I added two cans of bush's black beans. Let me know if you try this and if you do anything different to it that works for you! Or we should have a big party and I'll make a big batch of it!

4 comments:

sarah said...

Way to go!

Steph said...

You still hold the title for "Best Lasagna Ever" in my book!
You won because I couldn't make it to the cook off. I had my chili all ready to go...he he he.

larshannon said...

I didn't even get to try it!

But weren't you a judge?? hmmm...

Andy and Adrienne Bass said...

Hey! Our Cortez 1st ward Chili cook-off is Feb. 12th - should we see if it can win two states? I don't know if I can afford all the special chili powders though . . . Congratulations Jaimie (or should I call you Rachel Ray?)